The original Science Society was founded during UOIT's very first semester, in the fall of 2003. Officially sanctioned and supported by the Faculty of Science, membership is open to all science students.
Renamed the Science Council in Fall 2009, its mandate is to:
- Provide a channel of communication between the faculty and undergraduate body of the Faculty of Science;
- Initiate, encourage and support academic, social and athletic activities within the Faculty of Science;
- Promote, in general, the interests and welfare of the undergraduate body of the Faculty of Science; and
- Create awareness and interest in the Science programs at UOIT through Open House events.
President/contact: Jaymie Oentoro
The Science Council is a division of Your SA (student association) and is designed to cater to the needs of each and every science student. We work as a team to make sure that all students are satisfied with the services provided by the SA as well providing an additional link with the Faculty of Science.
As a division of Your SA, we want to make sure you are enjoying your non-academic experience. In the past, the Science Society hosted social events and gatherings such as a barbeque, bake sales, and a semi-formal for science students. As the Science Council, we will still offer these events, and hope to have more dynamic ideas from you, the student, as to what you would like to see happen. Any support is great in an effort to better the stressful and busy lives of all UOIT science students!
Further we work to provide support for students and act as a link between the student and the SA and we will continue to have a representative on the Faculty of Science Faculty Council. If you have any questions or concerns about the SA such as how they operate, decisions that have been made that affect your life as a student, policies in place, etc., we would be more than happy to work to help you address these concerns. If you have any questions about being a student in the Faculty of Science, come and ask one of our students with experience!
The Science Council is always open to new members and we encourage students to join and get involved so they themselves can implement the change that they want to see and assist in helping all students enjoy their lives outside of the lab and huge textbooks!
Student societies have a rich tradition, and have often played an instrumental role in establishing the course of a scientist's career. A key pivotal event can arise from a chance meeting or an unexpected encounter with an unusual idea. The Council can invite researchers, entrepreneurs, innovators, activists, or other students doing work you find interesting, locally or abroad, on campus for meetings, lectures, and debates. Let the other faculties at UOIT know what Science is up to - and why they should care! The only limits are those of the imagination: getting involved in the Science Council is sure to expand your horizons and make for a lot of fun.
- Introductory BBQ (Science faculty/student gathering in mid-September);
- Fundraisers (bake sales) [year round];
- Science clothing orders/sales [one near end of each semester];
- Pub Night;
- Christmas Banquet (Science faculty/student gathering); and
- Vernal Equinox Semi-Formal (Science faculty/student gathering at the end of March).