All of our students registered in co-operative education options are assessed a $500 co-op fee, as set by the university's Board of Governors, for each work term. The fee partially recovers some of the administrative costs associated with the operation of the Science Co-op at UOIT. The amount of the co-op fee is reviewed each year and any changes to the amount must be approved by the Board of Governors.
The administration of the work term placement process is the responsibility of the Career Centre. Expenditures for this process are directly related to the following activities:
- Co-ordinating the Employer Evaluation process.
- Facilitating and co-ordinating the process that matches the needs of the employer with the qualifications and skills of the student.
- Interacting with the Registrar's office on the validation of work term employment for degree credit.
- Maintaining co-op-related student records to validate the requirements for the awarding of a co-operative education degree.
- Monitoring co-op student work terms, including on-site visits and interviews.
- Organizing and scheduling job interviews.
- Promoting co-operative education to the external community and within UOIT.
- Providing assistance to students in various areas related to a successful placement, including resume preparation, interview skills and job-search techniques.
- Recruiting potential employers.
- Sustaining employment opportunities for students.