Forensic Entomology Group
Under the direction of Dr. Helene N. LeBlanc, the Forensic Entomology group covers areas concerning entomology and vertebrate decomposition including:
- Carrion insect succession;
- Chemical ecology;
- Exploring new ways to improve the determination of post-mortem interval (PMI);
- Insect electrophysiology;
- Insect growth studies; and
- Vertebrate decomposition.
The combination of these areas of research come together to help discover which chemical compounds attract insects to a decomposing body by not only isolating attractants but also detecting any repellents in order to better understand the behaviour of insects on a decomposing body and to aid in determining a more accurate PMI.