Computational Science and Visualization Laboratory
Through the Canada Foundation for Innovation New Opportunities program, a subset of faculty members involved in the Master of Science in Modelling and Computational Science program have established a Computational Science and Visualization Laboratory. The laboratory consists of:
- One SGI Fuel Visual workstation;
- Six all-purpose dual-Opteron 250 IBM A Pro workstations;
- A central data storage system; and
- The necessary infrastructure.
The SGI workstation is a specialized machine ideal for the visualization of 3D scientific data. The IBM workstations are used to run software such as MATLAB, MAPLE, and FEMLAB, which are indispensable tools for:
- Preliminary investigation;
- Problem formulation;
- Less intensive visualization; and
- Complete analysis of moderately sized problems.